Some days I wonder if this is it.
When I was The Teen’s age, I had elaborate plans for how I’d conquer and rule the world by the time I was 30. Like most plans, I did none of this. Instead, I seemed to find myself forty, with a kid in college, another heading to high school, a mortgage, a job I kinda like, and wondering where the time went.
It’s easy to get caught up in the “should ofs” while viewing my life in the myopic view of laundry, homework, and a pile of dishes. The photo below helps brings things into perspective:
At 48, Maxine Clark was a successful executive with Payless Shoes Source. Having dominated the world of affordable yet stylish shoes, Clark was not feeling the excitement she once felt about leading the business. Searching unsuccessfully for Ty Beanie Babies with a friend’s daughter, the child surmised that they could make their own. Listening to her heart, Clark decided that she would create the business that is now a cornerstone of malls all over America.
Build a Bear Workshop is one of the most successful stores in America. Clark modeled the idea after a childhood bear she once lost, but also the idea that children are limited with using their imagination. By allowing a child to great their own beloved companion, this encourages a child’s creativity as well as allow them to have a say in a world that is quick to tell them “no”.
Words of Wisdom from Maxine Clark, @ChiefExecBear on Twitter.
- Create a business plan: the dream supreme. Then backtrack and find a way to get there or close to it.
- Never feels like giving up because there’s still a lot she has to do. More excited now than ever!
- Go for it. Find the you that’s meant to be.
- A hug is understood in any language.
- When you acknowledge a child for something really smart, other children will follow along.
- When you follow your passion, it’s not work.. It’s play
- Teaching is leadership
- Follow your passion
- Believe in the dream.
- When you listen to your heart, you can find your true calling.
- Kids are told too offer what they CAN’T do. Encourage creativity.
- Learn from your mistakes.
Maxine Clark’s book, The Bear Necessities of Business: Building a Company with Heart, can be purchased by clicking the link below.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
Also, Disney provided discounted accommodations and park tickets and also provided the most magical experiences and perks. The DSMM sponsors provided product and helped make the magic happen. All opinions magical or otherwise are my own.