I’m convinced it’s a full moon tonight. The people I have dealt with today…
1. I am digging Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines” ft. T.I., Pharrell. That song is HOT HOT HOT! The Teen told me I shouldn’t like “her” music. Whatever. That song is my latest jam! I’ve heard people say that the song is rapey. I do think saying that the girl is the “hottest bitch in this place” is gratuitous. But as I listened for the umpteenth time, I got the feeling that Robin Thicke was crooning about getting with a chick without commitment. A jump off.
See the video above:
2. Just like political season brings armchair politicos, the George Zimmerman trial has brough out all the lawyers. Funnyman Mel Harris said it better than I could ever put it:
I see a lot of post with people talking about the George Zimmerman trial. I personally believe that he should be found guilty because he was the person who ignited the confrontation and eventually shot and killed the victim, but I’ll also say this: If you’re a parent in the house keeping up with the trial but you’re not keeping up with the day to day activity of your own child, you are part of the reason why these “Trayvon Marton” situations arise. I’ve heard a number of bad things about Trayvon over the last few days, none of which I think should have an affect on the outcome of this trial, but this is why its important to know whats goin on with your kids. Stay in their business. It’s no such thing as “over parenting”. You can’t be everywhere, all the time, but in a situation like this your child’s character should never be brought in to question…
3. Americanah has been all over Facebook and NPR. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has written a piece of work that is so close to home for me because of the work I do with immigrants daily. I like reading a book that describes the American experience for new Americans.
4. I forgot my wedding anniversary. To be totally transparent, I forget every year but The Mister is usually right there with a card, flowers, a back rub. This year is our fifteenth. Yes The Teen is 18. To explain, I didn’t want to get married because I was in that “What’s a piece of paper anyway?!” phase. Marriage is work but I’m glad we jumped the broom all those years ago. Happy Anniversary, babe!
5. I saw on the news that two top baby names were Django and Katniss. See why I think it’s a full moon?