A few weeks ago I commented about the heat. Now I’m annoyed with the cloudy days. August is supposed to be warm, sunny, and hot. Not overcast, damp, and filled with humidity. Ugh.
1. To quote my sister, “Video on Demand don’t owe me a thing!” Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Infinity I am able to watch what I want (sadly, no Judge Judy) when I want. I just finished the first season of Orange is the New Black. It was quite entertaining.
It’s not gritty like the HBO series Oz and not as silly as the movie “Let’s Go to Jail” It’s a peek into the life of women in prison. If I watch it for entertainment only, I can watch with no complaints. The dialogue is fantastic, witty, and funny. Looking beyond the catchy theme song, I dislike that once again, a blonde woman is coming to save the day. The show is based on a book by the same name. A privileged woman is sent to jail for acting as a mule for her drug dealing girlfriend. I know I’m reading too much into this: the change of heart the lead character has once she sees the treatment of the different races in jail; her campaign for the GED program to be reinstated; the slightly condescending tone when she discussed her disbelief of God in favor of science to a group of lower educated women. Am I projecting my own issues of class and race in my viewing? Of course. If you have Netflix, watch the series and decide for yourself.
2. Whitney Houston would have been fifty years old today. In tribute to Whitney, one of my favorite songs:
3. The Teen is having a Trunk Party this weekend. Trunk Parties are an extension to the “It Takes a Village” theme and a celebration of a child from the African American community heading to higher education. For the uninitiated, think of a Trunk Party as a Baby Shower or Bridal Shower. As much as I’ll miss The Teen, I think the cats are going to miss her more. The cats have been circling her more often, climbing into the boxes she has begun to pack, and curling into the folds of her legs as she sleep. Her response: “get your dumb cats away from me!”
4. I’ve been flexing my fingers. I’m determined to make The Teen a gold and purple blanket for her bed. Since I have less than a week, I’m using the biggest needles and the thickest yarn I can find. Which means a trip to the yarn store. I love when worlds collide!
5. Why don’t people read? There are two signs, BIG AS ALL GET OUT about instructions for completing a process. Inevitably, I get an average of four people a day asking me about the process. Had they bothered to read the signs they wouldn’t have an attitude, I wouldn’t be aggravated, and the world would be happy and rosy.
#31WriteNow Update: It was a bit tough coming up with content daily. I was prepared to copy some old post, but that would be a disservice to me and my readers. Instead, I’ve found myself paying attention to the world around me and mining that information for future posts. I’m enjoying this more and more!