As 2016 barrels into 2017 (and not a moment too soon!) Mother Nature is giving a preview of what to expect this winter. Here are some safe-driving tips to help prepare for inclement weather.
- Put the damn phone down. Time after time I see drivers on their devices when they should be paying attention to the road. For real, are you that important that you have to reply to a message? If you must respond, be considerate and pull over.
- Fill up your tank. A full tank minimalizes gas lines freezing AND if you get stuck, you have the opportunity to sit in a warm car while help.
- Watch your visibility. Replace worn wiper blades and keep an extra bottle of windshield washer fluid in the car. I have been wiping my windows with a solution of part rubbing alcohol and water. This helps with keeping windshields crisp. There is also windshield washer fluids designed for cold weather.
- Watch your distance. Everyone has the same thought in mind: get to your destination safely! Follow the six second safety rule. Select an object ahead. When the car in front of you passes it, count to six. If you reach the object before your get to six, you’re too close.
- Watch your tread: Please a penny head-first into tread grooves, If you see Lincoln’s head, your treads are too worn.
What are some of your winter tips and tricks?