This quote first struck me when I was stalking Cory Booker’s Facebook page.
Booker’s #waywire start-up is a place for motivation, information, and more Booker. The Mister already knows I heart me some Cory Booker…
Anyway, this particular quote brings to mind a few things February ushered in:
1. My renewed relationship with God. I know I can be hot or cold when it comes to matters of faith, but for some reason, this month I can say that I felt the hand of God touch my spirit. I cried and thanked Him for His love. Then I opened my bible. Thanks to my Kindle and the app YouVersion, I can spend time with my God daily. This time around, I actually enjoy reading the scriptures applying it to my life. I was MOTIVATED by the touch of God. The fact that The Mister and the cats make an extraordinarily amount of noise in the morning has me in the habit of reading and praying before the day gets started.
2. My sister jokes that she had trouble getting off the floor during story time and that motivated her to hit the gym. My unintentional Darth Vader imitation made me realize that it was time for me to get back in shape. Motivated by a summer wardrobe, I started with a mile on the treadmill. The feel good endorphins I released keeps the habit going.
3. Stress is killing me. Fo’ Real. Like my girl Sweet Brown says:
Between issues at work, cookies, The Boy approaching puberty, and The Teen about to leave, my thoughts are as tangled as my locced hair. Plus, stress causes cortisol, which causes belly fat, which may lead to diabetes and well (see above).
So my yoga mat has made an appearance again. I’ve learned to stretch and move around the cats who assume I laid it out for them, but I feel my stress slip away with each Om-mm.
4. Yesterday I spent time in the kitchen. The Teen had been begging me to make peanut butter cookies, but the cases of Girl Scout cookies piled in my living room made me cookie-shy. Motivated to have her stop yammering, I put on my cooking music (old school rap) and set about whipping up trays of cookies. This used to be my Sunday routine, baking for the week. Somewhere I fell out of this habit, instead perusing Twitter and watching Snapped! marathons. I felt great pretending to be on a cooking show as I baked and even cleaned the kitchen!
5. Judge Judy. I know my obsession with JJ is a little daunting, but a particular episode spoke to me. A couple had their children taken away because their house was a pigsty. As much as I watch Hoarders and Hoarding: Buried Alive, this case scared me. I jest about the obligatory laundry basket in almost all of my pictures, but the piles of clutter, the cat’s bulimia, the junk all seemed to fall on blind eyes. I would hate for someone to come into my home and take my children because it was a wreck. So now I take time each day to tidy up the house, sweeping and collecting the trash, putting things away.
So, these are a few things that motivated me to make new habits. What’s motivating you this week?
Or do you need motivation? Check out Barb’s Linky at A Life in Balance for other motivating posts!