Twitter is all well a twitter over Bishop Eddie Long and allegations that he abused his position to coerce at least three young men into inappropriate sexual relationships. This immediately brought to mind Shannon Bellamy and her book Pimps in the Pulpit.
Like Bellamy, the young men feel that the accused used his role as spiritual advisor to prey on people who came to them for help. These men are seeking large amounts from the men they have accused, the church, and others they feel should have stepped in.
In no way do I condone this behavior. It saddens me that this accusation is going to be used as ammunition against attending church, against Christianity and will deliver a great big black eye to the Black Church.
The Black church has it’s issues. Recently I was telling the Good Reverend Doctor about our trip to South Carolina and the disgust I had during the service by actions of the pulpit. The GRD said pretty much what I thought, that the accolades we heap on our spiritual leaders tend to go overboard. Photos seen on CNN show the Bishop’s lavishly furnished home and mention his $300,000 Bentley.
There’s also footage dragged out of Bishop Long’s rants against homosexuality to show how big a hypocrite he really is.
Bishop Eddie Long once said homosexuality is spiritual abortion. hmmm Secret life? What’s been done in the dark will come to light.
Let’s break it down:
1. Blacks need to stop elevating men of the cloth. Yes we should revere and respect them, but as one tweeter said:
Smh at people using this bishop Eddie long scandal to justify why they not Christians. Eddie long did not die on the cross for your sins.
2. These young men, where were the parents? They said they received cars, cash, and trips. Umm did their parents not questions where this stuff came from? Perhaps the material things eclipsed the common sense of the ADULT guardians of the boys.
3. The Black church does not promote homophobia. The Black church quotes from the Bible that man should not lay with man. While searching for the exact verse, I came across an excellent pamphlet that makes a decent argument for and against homosexuality. As for my opinion, if I am to believe what’s preached from my Bible, then it’s wrong. If I am to believe that it’s a mistake from God, that’s also wrong. My God is infallible. He makes no mistakes. In a nutshell, I have no opinion about where an adult lays his or her head at night. What someone does BEHIND closed doors is their business. Does a person’s sexuality really matter?
4. I agree with Shannon Bellamy that spiritual leaders need to have more accountability when they are privy to a person’s innermost secret. These are still people of the flesh and they can and sometimes will takes liberties with their roles.
5. This is no joking matter. The tweets suggest that this is an opportunity to make off color jokes and even bring Antoine Dodson into this matter. As a community, we have to stop making light of the abuse.
6. Speaking of Dodson,
How can a person rally so hard against something then get caught smack dab in the middle? GTFOH! Long denies the claims, but Queenie taught me where there’s smoke, there’s fire. (side eye at Bishop Long)
I implore people to please, please, please don’t use this as an opportunity to stay away from church. This is the mistake of one man. We should be praying for all involved. This is a difficult issue and this deserves privacy, not wise cracks.
Remember, we have no Heaven and Hell to place these people.
– Created on the fly by Mrsrkfj